On the Arts & Crafts site, someone asked How did they make spiral decorations and pearls on old frames?, which was about decorative picture frames made in the 1700s, I assume by hand carving. Knowledge of the tools and methods from colonial times is a specialty, and it looks like nobody on A&C has that expertise. People with that knowledge and skill are often employed by museums and working historical landmarks to maintain or recreate items from that era.

I didn't spot a tag here for a dedicated topic. On the Woodworking site, do you ever get questions about historical techniques, or does the user base include some people who could answer such questions?

1 Answer 1


Welcome to WSE. Your question is appropriate and you can use the tag traditional-techniques. See you there.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .