I am going to guess that anything not specifically related to woodworking (i.e., welding) should not be considered on topic. The standard StackExchange off topic items like off site recommendations would likely be the case here too.
For the topics that are (like tool recommendations), what types of questions we should be disallowing?
Some of the standard StackExchange question types that are off topic include:
- every answer is equally valid: “What’s your favorite ______?”
- your answer is provided along with the question, and you expect more answers: “I use ______ for ______, what do you use?”
- there is no actual problem to be solved: “I’m curious if other people feel like I do.”
- you are asking an open-ended, hypothetical question: “What if ______ happened?”
- your question is just a rant in disguise: “______ sucks, am I right?”